Programme Sponsor - Northern Game Feeds
Shorts Sponsor - Sapper Support
Sat 22
1st XV
Bridlington 29 – 22 Cleckheaton

Bridlington 29 – 22 Cleckheaton

By Neil Gillan
Share via

Cleckheaton fall to another defeat on the East Coast By Geoff Akerman

Bridlington had the visitors under extreme pressure in the early stages as Cleckheaton conceded 3 early penalties. After 8 minutes a driving maul was successfully guided over Cleckheaton’s try line and prop forward Webb was awarded the score, which was converted by Robinson. Cleckheaton got a foothold in the Bridlington half and following a catch and drive at the line out, flanker Brad Marsden scored wide on the right. The conversion was missed, and the score was 7-5.

On 24 minutes, Cleck’s James Wilson was sent to the sin bin and Robinson kicked the penalty goal to take the score to 10-5. Bridlington extended their lead with another try on 28 minutes when Michael Risdale saw a gap in the defence to go over. Once again this was converted by Robinson. Shortly before half time Morrison extended the home side’s lead with another try, this one unconverted, after Bickerdike was penalised and shown a yellow card. At half time the visitors were struggling at 22-5 down.

Coach Thiu Barnard read the riot act at the half time break but following a scrum on 48 minutes Bridlington Number 8 Thompson picked up and spun out of a tackle to score unopposed under the posts. Robinson added the easy conversion to extend his sides lead to 29-5.

Matt Piper and Andy Piper were replaced on 50 minutes by Woodhead and Jackson .
When Cleckheaton managed to retain possession, they played some attractive rugby and following a 20 metre driving maul, Tom Austin crashed over the line to reduce the arrears to 29-10. After a bout of unpleasantness, Bridlington full back Davies got a yellow card and Cleckheaton prop Turner was given the red one.

Cleckheaton improved in the final 20 minutes with 14 men, Swetman crossed for a try wide on the right and was unable to add the extras to take the score to 29-15. With 77 minutes gone and after several thrusts for the line an overlap was created for Woodhead to score and Swetman converted to close the gap to 29-22.

The outstanding Joey Carley was awarded Cleckheaton’s Man of the Match and to add to his tackling effort also put Hayward into space, but he was stopped short of the line. With time running out Swetman tried to kick to the corner but put the ball touch in goal. When play restarted Downs, Dearing and Hayward combined but the ball was ultimately lost and the final whistle blew.

Cleckheaton picked up a try bonus and a losing bonus point from the game, but the poor discipline is causing concern. Next week Cleckheaton entertain high flying Huddersfield YMCA at Moorend in a tasty local derby.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 22, Sep 2018




North One East

League position